Sunday, February 28, 2010

Trying to be a good and sustainable homemaker....

You know, my thoughts on homemaking/being a mom have changed over the last few years. Especially when it comes to what I feed my family and the every day routine of our lives. I see us moving closer and closer to a type of living and eating where we make/grown our own food. My mom jokes with me about being "Ma Ingalls" form Little House On the Prairie. She even bought me a Little House cook book. Truly, I wouldn't really want to live in those times, but the principles and work ethics from that era are extremely appealing to me. I find it very fulfilling to feed my kids a meal where the eggs are from our own chickens, the bacon is from a pig we had butchered and the bread was made by me a day ago. I love that. Simple, pure, perfect. I guess maybe the best word to use would indeed be "simple." Not to be confused with easy.

I will spare you the details of how I have come to this place, I am not even sure I could explain it if I tried. I will say though, living that way, as much as we can, just seems right. I feel it is what is best for our kids.

Also over the last few years I have really struggled with organic food, processed food, being frugal and a mix of those things. I think there are valuable points on all sides. I feel as if though I am coming out with a "side" that seems the best for us. I really hate processed junk, but sometimes it is in our lives and that is ok. I am probably ending up with a view that the least processed the better and the more frugal the better. Organic is great if it is on sale. :) Really this fits really well with my life these days. My garden is getting bigger and better each year and I am learning to can more and more. We already butcher local beef and eat the chickens we raised. My next big goal is to grow our own beef and pork. I would also love to have our own milking cow for fresh milk and stuff, but that is a huge responsibility.....

The chickens have proven to be a good project for everyone. The kids don't always love it and their have been some sad times, but it is a great family project. I think we might even do poultry in 4H this year! Having livestock and caring for them is such a great things for the kids to know and learn, it is almost as if the eggs/meat are a bonus!

Ok, enough of this for now, but don't be surprised if future posts have a little more "essence" of homesteading/frugality to them!

Julie

1 comment:

  1. Julie,
    I have always wanted to do that too if we ever have any land! Minus the pig though!
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete

Psalms 10:14, 17-18

"You are the helper of the fatherless.  LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more."