Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tuesday Update......

I think I am going to try and update once a day if I can. Asher tends to sleep more soundly in his crib, so when he is in there, I have a little time to do things.

He is doing about the same as he was yesterday. Certainly no worse and maybe slightly less uncomfortable, but still very irritable. His vitals are still good and I think the doctor is happy with how he is doing. We found out today that the bacteria that is in his ear from his ear infection is not the same bacteria that is in his spinal fluid. Therefore, the ear infection is not related to the meningitis. We'll never really know for sure, but even though his type of meningitis is rare it looks like he got it here in the good old US of A. So, we are having to treat his ear infection seperately. His iron is also low so he is getting suppliments there.

They decided to install a PICC line and that is scheduled to be done at 8:00 am tomorrow. This is also know as a central line (I think). This will allow easy access for the antibiotics, blood draws, etc. I am glad they are doing it because he hates his IV and they struggle to keep it in good shape because his little veins are so small and hard to find. He will have to be under sedation for this which I don't like, but......

I know this is just part of it, but I grow weary of seeing my baby so sick. He is normally such a little piece of sunshine and so active. Even though he is acting appropriately, he still seems like a shell of himself. The few smiles we are getting are just so precious.

The kiddos at home seem to be doing well. We are blessed with wonderful people that are willing to help out however they can. I fell like my other 5 babies are getting great care (some of it is daddy care) and that is such a relief. Leah and Logan are such troopers and I know they are doing all they can to keep things going smoothly while I am not there. Leah is so funny because she knows what I like and even though I would never ask her to vaccuum the floor and wash some laundry, she has done that and more (like making homemade waffles this am) because she wants things to me easy on me.

Well, I need to go because I need sleep and since Asher is sleeping right now, I should try and get a snooze.

Julie

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the update Julie. I will continue checking every day for the latest news. Who do I contact to help out with meals for the rest of your family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivki, that is so sweet of you my friend. You could call Ryan or even me if you want to. We both have our cell phones. I might take you up on the meal thing. Certainly the kids are not starving, but it would be nice to know they are eating a nice hot meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. julie..
    thank you for taking the time to update! praying for complete healing of your sweet pea!
    wish i lived closer so i could help out with your kiddos!

    make sure you are taking care of you too!!

    ReplyDelete

Psalms 10:14, 17-18

"You are the helper of the fatherless.  LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more."