Thursday, October 1, 2009

Blue eyes........... *Sigh*

Last week we were in the car and Anna told me that she wanted blue eyes. A whole number of things went through my mind, but I simply asked her why. Her response was "because Madeline has blue eyes." I gave the poor girl like two minute speech about how her eyes were beautiful and how mommy loved her big brown eyes. I told that Jesus picked those eyes out just for her and they were perfect. She was seriously not convinced. If you know Anna at all you have seen her "moods" that she can get in to where she is just seriously irritated by something and nothing can get her out of it. After I told her that Jesus gave her brown eyes, her response back to me was "Jesus makes me sad," followed by a major pout. I did correct her and let her know that Jesus did not make her sad, but that she was making herself sad, but I pretty much just let the subject drop. Anna was not convinced her brown eyes are perfect for her and I had said as much as I could to make her "see the light."

So, the very next day, Anna and Madeline are walking into the house and Anna comes up to me again and says "I want blue eyes like Madeline." We went through the whole "your eyes are perfect speech" yet again. Anna then says "but I want to see in the dark like Madeline." Then Madeline chimes in "yeah mommy, blue eyes can see in the dark." I could not hold back my laugh, but Madeline and Anna were as serious as a heart attack. I took some time and showed them the error of their ways and I thought I got through to them.

Fast forward to this past weekend camping. We walked a trail with the kids and it started to get dark. Madeline just says (like it is a well known fact) "It's ok that it is getting dark because I have blue eyes and blue eyes can see in the dark." Of course Anna hears this a again whines that she does not like her brown eyes and she wants blue. God bless Leah, she spent the rest of the walk going over everything under the sun that was brown or had brown eyes. You know like, "Kayla has brown eyes, chocolate is brown and we love chocolate......." That kind of stuff. My hope was that Anna would finally get it (and that Madeline would shut her mouth).

So, two nights ago we were coming home late from the store and it is dark. Madeline, as if she has completely turned a deaf ear to all we have told her, says again "It's ok that it is dark because I have blue eyes." OH MY GOODNESS. I wonder how many times I am going to have to correct Madeline before she gets it?!?

Oh, and for the record, Anna seriously has some of the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. Her eye lashes do not end and I have never seen another child more expressive with their eyes.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalms 10:14, 17-18

"You are the helper of the fatherless.  LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more."