Saturday, December 5, 2009

Ramblings.

So, I think I have relieved a little stress over the last couple days. I have scaled back a few things to make them more manageable. Also, probably 50% of stress for me is being unplanned/unprepared. So, I have been getting more organized and trying to get a game plan. I have about 50 "to do" lists flying around the house.

I have also been plugging away at my sewing. Ahhh...sewing. I really do love to sew (under certain circumstances). I also love to make things for my kids. To me it is a special thing to have something hand made by someone who loves you. I hope every Christmas each of my kids can get a little something special made by me. This year has been a little heavier than most. I obviously can't talk about Christmas on here and presents for the two kids I have that can read, but here's what I am doing for the 3 little ones.

**I made crayon rolls for them (and a cousin) that turned out pretty cute. (I am hoping to post pics of my completed projects soon). They look like this: http://www.skiptomylou.org/2007/04/25/on-a-roll/ Mine are a little different, but you get the idea.

**The last couple days I have worked almost exclusively on a play mat for Gee. It is one of the cutest things ever. Concept wise it was easy, but it ended up being very time consuming. It is a mat that when unrolled has a whole town with roads, etc. He can drive his cars all over the place since that seems to be his favorite pass time lately. When he is done it rolls up and snaps shut. (Let me say her that I LOVE my snap press. I bought it for Asher's diapers and I am using it for everything!) I also bought him some little wooden cars that I am going to make a pouch for. This ended up being the priciest gift for him. The fabric alone was $45 (I had extra though that I am making an outfit for him with). The little wooden cars were expensive also. I think he will love it! Here's what I patterned Gee's playmat after: http://jcaroline.typepad.com/jcaroline/2008/07/merryville-play.html

**The three little guys are getting a playhouse from Santa this year and I think that will be the next "to do" on Santa's list. It is made out of cloth so it folds up small and then it fits over any standard card table. I am going to make ours fit over a wood table that Grandpa Hidinger made for us. It is a little bigger than standard card table size and I am hoping it will fit both. Here's an example on Etsy (I love this place) of what I am going to make, although it probably won't be quite as elaborate. http://www.etsy.com/shop/missprettypretty?section_id=5577944

**Besides the little kids, I have quite a few other gifts I really want to make if I have time.

Lately, I have also been tackling the stuff we need to do to get ready to go to Ethiopia. I can't make travel arrangements until we ok Asher's new birth certificate, but I can do a few other things until then. Right now I am trying to be sure we all get the immunizations we need. I think it is going to be Leah and I traveling and we will both need Hep B (Leah may have already had this) and Typhoid. All 7 of us are getting the Hep. A vac. It is taking a little time to organize this and to find out exactly who needs what. I am also pulling together all the prescriptions/medicines that we need to take. I thank God for Chrissy. She is pretty much taking care of all the over the counter medical needs we have, as well as working with the doctors for the prescription stuff. It is a pretty extensive list and I am really wanting to take as much as I can to be as prepared as I can.

Oh, another thing I am doing to relieve stress is trying to get all my Christmas done now. I am about 85% there. Which is really good, but I want to be completely done within the next week (except for the sewing I am doing). Normally I am still picking up stuff up until a few days before Christmas, not this year. I am just trying to get myself to the point where I am enjoying this time. I love Christmas and even though the waiting stinks, I love preparing for Asher to come home. I want to be able to enjoy this spot in my life and not be stressing!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalms 10:14, 17-18

"You are the helper of the fatherless.  LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more."