Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Year with Asher!

You know, this month, right about this time, marks one full year with our sweet Asher. I remember the trip to get him so clearly still.

It was an incredibly long flight, made worse by a video system that did not work. We arrived in Ethiopia late and "Z" our super sweet CWA driver was right there waiting. Once we got to our guest house (again, late) we were exhausted. Ryan has tried to call a couple times I guess, so I called him first thing (which was extremely tricky, I had to use our guest house manager's cell phone). On Monday (the 11th) we got up, got a few groceries and then went to get my baby boy. We were filling out paperwork and didn't even hear the CWA van pull in. All of a sudden one of the caregivers walk in with a bundle all covered in a blanket. I asked if it was Mussie and it was! He was asleep and incredible. Leah and I took turns holding and I filled out the rest of the paperwork. We got to talk to his caregiver about his health, etc. Then, we had a coffee ceremony with Asher and the CWA families/staff. Really, it was a beautiful thing. The weather was incredible and I remember that day with nothing but happiness.

Asher had a pretty rough start here in the US. Between ear infections, surgery for tubes and his meningitis, well, he went through a lot at first. Now, he is amazingly healthy. I do not take that for granted. God rescued Asher and made Him whole again. Now Asher is an extremely lively and curious toddler. He is bright and funny and he brings total joy to this family. As with all our kids, we know that God has big plans for this kid and I am so excited to see God move in Asher's life.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalms 10:14, 17-18

"You are the helper of the fatherless.  LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more."