Sunday, July 19, 2009

Normal Stuff.....the way I like it.

Lately I have been feeling pretty domesticated. It is a good thing. I have found more joy in the simple things in life than I thought I ever would. I love my garden, I love canning our fresh stuff, etc., etc....... For a while I have been trying to get our family back to eating better. Less processed junk, more whole foods, etc. Well, we are still working toward that and my latest step in that direction is bread. It bothers me slightly that store bought bread can last for weeks without spoiling. Now don't get me wrong, it has it's place and I am not a bread snob, but since I am home and we love fresh bread I am trying to go without buying store bought bread. I only ever buy 100% whole wheat bread and I do not want to sacrifice the whole grain goodness there so I am trying to do whole wheat bread at home. I am made some good loaves, but they just haven't been 100% what I am looking for. A little too dense and dried out a little too quickly. This is what I baked today:


Pretty eh? It was 1/2 wheat and half all purpose flour. I think I might sacrifice the 100% whole wheat if I can get loaves this pretty. Oh and I haven't given up on pretty 100% whole wheat, but I think I need a few more props like wheat gluten and/or dough enhancer.

The garden has been thriving and I love finding "presents" out there every day. Lots of zucchini, cucumbers, peppers and green beans so far. Here's Flirt "helping" us pick!


We have gotten some massive zucchini's so far!


How cute are our little watermelons?


My studly husband made me some shelves out of old barn wood yesterday. They are for my canning jars and will hold 250 jars. Yeah! They look really cool also. Here are the kids pretending to sleep on their "bunk beds."




Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalms 10:14, 17-18

"You are the helper of the fatherless.  LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more."