Friday, April 24, 2009

Maybe Sunday I can have an apple.....

One of our house rules is that if you do not eat all your lunch or dinner, you do not get a snack or anything until the next meal.  Well, lately Madeline has been very picky with her eating habits and she has experienced many snack-less days.  Her big phrase now is "maybe Sunday I can have XXXX."  Usually she asks for an apple, I say no and tell her why and then she whines and complains a bit, I stand firm, and I think her way of dealing with the crushing disappointment is to find a light at the end of the tunnel.  She will use this phrase when she wants her best friend (ie our babysitter) Eva to come over.  "Maybe Sunday Eva will come over........"  I just don't usually argue with her anymore and I say "maybe."  Well, now Madeline has caught on a bit that "maybe" rarely happens.  Now when I tell her "maybe Sunday" she comes back with "but every day is Sunday!"  Oiy.  I will never win this one (but she is still not getting an apple).

There have been many times with all 5 of the kids, where I wonder "where do they learn that?" Lately Anna and Madeline have been using the phrase "your not my friend any more!"  Where did that come from?  Aren't they a little young for that?  I know that Madeline is really in to "best friends" right now.  For example, Madeline will ask for her little cousin to come over quite a bit.  I will tell her "maybe some other time" and every time Madeline says, "but Kayla's my best friend."  You know, like that gives Madeline a free pass to see Kayla any time she wants.  It is actually kind of cute.  So maybe all this friend talk just naturally progresses to "not having friends" talk.  Nuts.  Why does that sinful nature have to keep rearing it's ugly head?  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalms 10:14, 17-18

"You are the helper of the fatherless.  LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more."