Monday, August 9, 2010

Exhausting Day at the fair

Yesterday Leah and Logan and I took off around 9:15 to head to the fair. We wanted to watch a poultry show that our 4H leaders kids were in. Plus, Sunday is always the day of crowning the fair queen and pig/calf scramble. We usually go to that. It was hot and sticky. There was an occasional breeze, which was good. To be honest, it didn't seem too bad, but as the day wore on I noticed I was drinking more and more (and drinking water no less) and getting more and more exhausted. Ryan met us there around 2:00 with the younger 4 and walked more and let the two older kids ride rides. By 7:00 all 4 younger kids were whiney and fussy. Leah and Logan were still going strong. I guess I am just getting old because I was spent. We decided to skip the scramble (which is typically my favorite part) and I took the 4 littles home. Ryan, the poor guy got stuck there for another hour and a half riding fair rides with Logan, Leah and a couple of Leah's friends. We are going back to the fair one more time, on Wednesday to show our meat birds. We will have to be there all day for that also. I am sure it will also be hot..... Nuts.

I have been very proud this year of Leah and Logan and their 4H endeavors. Leah of course won her quick breads category for our county and then went to the state fair. So she got an A and a rosette for that, but she also got an A and a rosette for her scrapbooking project. I think only the high A's get a rosette. We won't know how they do with their meat birds until Wednesday. Logan got an A on his gun safety project. A very deserved grade I think, although he could have put more effort into it. For his first 4H project though, I was proud of him. But then, at the fair yesterday I get a call from our advisor (who was there with her girls) saying that Logan won 5th place in his skillathon. That was crazy to me. There are a lot of kids in his age group this year and he did 5th best. I think I posted about this, but the skillathon is a test like thing all the poultry people have to take. We had no clue the test was even going on and the kids were pretty unprepared for it. I was digging weeds out of my garden and had to drop everything and load all 6 kids up and head to the fairgrounds. But hey, Logan apparently did great on it anyways. It was just really cool because he was feeling a little down that Leah got two rosettes, got to go to the state fair, etc. I told him more than once how proud I was of him, but the 5th place really gave him a boost!

So, even though we are pretty busy with fair stuff, the garden does not stop producing for busy people. Saturday I was snapping the beans Ryan I picked a couple days before and was going to try and process them before church. I only had enough for a couple quarts and my pressure cooker will take 7 quarts, so I decided to do some pumpkins also (my sweet pie pumpkins are ready). I went out to the garden to grab the pumpkins that are ready and I could not believe that the greens beans were completely ready to pick again. It is a blessing no doubt, but oh my. So I spent the rest of my day picking and canning beans. Right now as I waste time typing this, I have two bushels of apples, about a bushel of tomatoes and pumpkins to process. I have today and tomorrow to get this done because Wednesday we will be the fair all day and Thursday will be dedicated to getting our meat birds processed and delivered. We leave on Friday for a weekend vacation in West Virginia. I guess I will pack for that Friday morning?

Ok, now I really need to go...... Have lots to do.

Julei

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalms 10:14, 17-18

"You are the helper of the fatherless.  LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more."