Monday, June 28, 2010

Will I ever catch up??

I cannot figure out why I always feel like I am running behind. I swear I do not just sit around and eat my bon-bons all day (well, at least not most days). Most days I work pretty hard. Even with that though, I just have so much still to do.

The garden is kicking my hiney. I am still trying to pull weeds from when the garden was first planted like a month ago. I am finally almost done, but I am out there almost every day. Now, I like my garden and I enjoy being out there for the most part. I just can't work out there for longer than 30 to 45 minutes though because of the kids. In spite of my lack of care in some areas, the garden looks good. Things are growing beautifully for the most part. Some of my lettuce/spinach looks ratty. And since it is my first year growing it, I have no clue why. I have been keeping up with the weeds on everything but the melons/squash. We got our first cucumbers a couple days ago and we have lots of tiny green tomatoes on the vine. I will snap a picture as soon as I get the weeding finished.

The girls are getting new beds. They are still sleeping in their toddler beds, but the time has come to put them in real beds. I have a twin over full bunk bed set sitting in my garage ready to be assembled. I also ordered them a new dresser and we are tweaking our dresser situation upstairs a bit. You really have to maximize space with 6 (well really only 5 right now, but Asher's clothes are all upstairs) kids in 3 rooms. That isn't terrible I know, but it is tricky. The girls are excited and so am I. Their room will look very fresh and put together when we are done (I think).

I am putting together another baking/cooking day. I am aiming for Friday as the "big" day. I need to get my kitchen/freezers organized and I want to be more prepared when it comes to meals. I still hope to do a bulk baking day with a couple other gals, that sounds fun to me. But I just feel like my life is so wishy-washy sometimes. Like even though I plan to cook/bake this Friday, I would not be surprised if that gets bumped or moved. It is hard to essentially take a whole day off from everything else. I am really trying thought to get in a better routine of making things from scratch and eating more "real" foods.

My sister and I picked raspberries last week (in the smoldering heat), so I got some of those put in the freezer. We have also had a good deal of wild raspberries along our fence rows. This is good, but dangerous because there's also lots of poison ivy. I did get enough though (after thoroughly washing them) to make a cobbler and to eat off of. Our friend and neighbor down the street has an excess of red raspberries every year and she offered to let me pick her extras. Yeah! I am going to do that today. Oh, and our apple tree (tart, early apples) is actually bearing usable, not too buggy fruit this year. I put up 8 quarts of applesauce yesterday.

Well, my next post will have pics of my niece's dedication and my nephew's baptism. We went to church I grew up in last Sunday and to see those milestones. It was a good thing!

Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalms 10:14, 17-18

"You are the helper of the fatherless.  LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more."