Monday, April 11, 2011

Farm Girl Stuff

Well, as of yesterday, all of our calves for the spring have been born. We ended up with a set of white twins, two black calves and one singleton white calf (born yesterday). In terms of a money making endeaver, this was not our best start at things. Both the black calves are not considered breed standard for the White Parks (kind of obvious, I guess). Apparently our chances of getting a black calf were around 10% and our chances of getting twins was even less. Go figure. We are still trying to decide what to do with everyone from a financial perspective. From an enjoyment perspective, it is a little different for me. I love our little flock. I am really enjoying the breed. They are hardy, good mother's (except for our poor Sparky), non-aggressive, but understandably protective. Plus, I think they are beautiful animals. And yes, I will be able to eat them. I undertand that it is just part of it all. Our most recent little black calf (born last week). This is the little one born just yesterday. He/she is probably about 6 or 7 hours old here. Saturday afternoon we had an Etiquette Dinner with our 4H club. Here is a picture of Leah and her table. Ok, back to cows. This is just a picture of both our black cows together with their mama's. It is funny how our White Parks tend to hang with one another out in the field. This is Sparky's mama and twin sister. Our little black calf #2, about a day old. How cute is it???? Our barn progress. I am so excited to see our barn moving along. With the rain, it is moving more slowly than I would like, but it is still moving, so I shall focus on the positive! Ok, this is totally not farm girl stuff, but it is my nasty garage. Right now our garage totally stresses me out. We have chickens in there, that have no other place to go and just a bunch of junk! I can't do anything about the chickens right now, but I can do something about the junk. I decided to tackle one wall at a time. Here is wall #1, before. Embarrassing, yes. An "after" picture will hopefully come in a few days.


One last little cow picture...... So cute.



The kids and I made these coffee filter flowers. I don't do near as many projects with the kids as I would like, but this was a good one. It was a two day project because you have to let them dry once you color them, but they turned out so nice. What was even nicer was letting the kids hand deliver them, along with some muffins, to some our special relatives.



Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalms 10:14, 17-18

"You are the helper of the fatherless.  LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more."